The League of Women Voters-Downeast in cooperation with WERU FM produces a monthly radio program on topics in participatory democracy. It's called the Democracy Forum.
Broadcasts may be heard live from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. on the third Friday of the month at WERU Community Radio, 89.9 FM Blue Hill, 99.9 FM Bangor. Listen live on the Web at WERU FM.
In September, 2018, the Democracy Forum won top honors from the Maine Association of Broadcasting for public affairs radio.
Here is information about our upcoming broadcast.
"...You win some, you lose some. And then there's that little-known third category."
Al Gore, 2004
We'll talk about the electoral college, its historical origins and the founders' intent, the practical implications for modern American politics, and proposals for reform, including the National Popular Vote (NPV). The Maine legislature is currently debating whether Maine should join the NPV compact.
In case you missed it live, you can listen to this show from the archive at weru.org.
- What was the founders' intent for the Electoral College?
- How has the Electoral College functioned historically?
- What demographic and political changes are altering the landscape in modern America?
- What reform proposals are being considered for the Electoral College or in the states' selection of electors?
- How would the National Popular Vote work? Why is it a good idea--or not--for Maine?
- What can ordinary citizens do?
To learn more, follow these links to related content:
- As American as Apple Pie? The Rural Vote's Disproportionate Slice of Power Emily Badger in The New York Times, November, 2016.
- The real reason we have an Electoral College: to protect slave states Sean Illing interviews Akhil Reed Amar in Vox, November, 2016.
- The Electoral College badly distorts the vote. And it's going to get worse. Katy Collin in The Washington Post, November, 2016.
- Don't Believe the Myths about the National Popular Vote, Saul Anuzis, The Hill, May, 2018.
- Constitutional Law Professor Drops Bombshell on `Forgotten Americans' at Democrats' Electoral College Meeting, Jamie Raskin, Alternet December, 2016.
- An Idea for Electoral College Reform That Both Parties Might Actually Like, Edward B. Foley, Politico January, 2019.
- Alternative view: National Popular Vote would amplify Maine voices and empower small states, Patrick Rosenstiel in the Maine Wire, March 10, 2019.
Read about and listen to past programs from the League archive
THE FREE PRESS AND A FUNCTIONING DEMOCRACY
CYBER ATTACKS ON DEMOCRACY: Social Media, Fake News, and Voter Responsibility
ELECTION 2018: What Happened and What Does It Mean?
POLLITICAL POLLs: Can We Ever Trust Them Again?
ELECTIONS IN MAINE: Where the Rubber Meets the Road
DISTRUST IN GOVERNMENT: A Necessary Evil or a Weapon of Destruction?
STATE PRE-EMPTION: Who's Got the Power?
IMMIGRATION: Can We Live Without It?
RANKED CHOICE VOTING: How Will It Work in Maine?
GERRYMANDERING: What's the Big Deal?
Read about and listen to past programs from the League archive.