The League of Women Voters Downeast in cooperation with WERU FM is producing a monthly radio program on topics in participatory democracy. It's called the Democracy Forum.
Broadcasts may be heard live from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. on the third Friday of the month at WERU Community Radio, 89.9 FM Blue Hill, 99.9 FM Bangor. Listen live on the Web at WERU FM.
Here is information about our upcoming broadcast.
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation."
-- Alasdair Gray, Scottish writer and artist
We'll talk about what's changed in Maine since the 2016 presidential election. How have the policies of the new administration affected Maine politics and people? We'll take listener calls during the second half of the show.
In case you missed it live, you can listen to this show from the archive at weru.org.
- Hannah Pingree, Democrat, former Speaker of the House in Maine, and co-host of the Maine Event on Maine Public television
- Josh Tardy, Republican lobbyist, former House Minority Leader, and former chair of the 2016 Trump campaign in Maine.
- Which cabinet departments have the most direct impact on Maine: trade, immigration, EPA, education? What changes have we seen in the way these departments operate?
- Which new laws have changed the way things work here in Maine?
- What new executive orders and regulations are having an impact?
- Has the 2016 presidential election changed the calculus for the two major parties?
- What new observations can we make since the off-year election on November 7?
- Are Maine people more civically engaged since the 2016 election?
To learn more, follow these links to related articles and essays:
Read about and listen to past programs from the League archive
BALLOT QUESTIONS IN MAINE: Whose Initiatives Are They?
THE TWO MAINES: Can We Bridge the Divide?
FAKE NEWS: Who Can You Trust?
FREE TRADE: Winners & Losers in Maine
JOBS IN MAINE: What's the Future?
CIVIL DISCOURSE: Can We Do It?
CENSUS 2020: Making Sense of the Census
POLITICAL PARTIES: Do They Still Matter?
Read about and listen to past programs from the League archive.