The League of Women Voters Downeast in cooperation with WERU FM is producing and sponsoring a monthly radio program on topics in participatory democracy. It's called the Democracy Forum.
Broadcasts may be heard live from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. on the third Friday of the month at WERU Community Radio, 89.9 FM Blue Hill, 99.9 FM Bangor. Listen live on the Web at WERU FM.
Join us the following Wednesday evening, 5:30 - 7:00, for an in-person public conversation on this topic.
Here is information about our upcoming broadcast.
"The most important political office is that of the private citizen."
-- Louis D. Brandeis
We'll discuss what happened in the recent election, what our constitution provides, and what role the legislature and the governor are playing now. We'll take listener calls during the second half of the show.
- John Brautigam, former Maine legislator and Assistant Attorney General, now serving on the board of the League of Women Voters of Maine.
- Ronald Schmidt Associate Professor of Political Science at USM.
- What is the history of the citizens initiative and peoples veto in Maine? Have these provisions always been part of the Maine constitution? How have they been exercised historically?
- How does the process work? Where do the questions come from? Who pays for the campaigns?
- What's happening with the four questions that just passed? What actions are required of the legislature and the governor? What other measures are they contemplating?
- Are there problems with the current process? What measures is the legislature considering to change or restrict the citizen initiative process?
To learn more, follow these links to related articles and essays:
Read about and listen to past programs from the League archive
Join us at Pat's Pizza, Ellsworth, 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. to continue the conversation on Ballot Questions in Maine.
- Former Sen. Jill Goldthwaite is a former Maine State Senator and award-winning political columnist for the Ellsworth American and the Mount Desert Islander.
- Sen. Brian Langley, is a fourth term State Senator serving District 7.
- Rep. Louie Luchini. is a fourth term State Representative serving District 132.
Light snacks will be served; beverages will be available for purchase.
Join us to discuss important issues and how they affect us here in Maine. (Subject to change.)
THE TWO MAINES: Can We Bridge the Divide?
March 17, Democracy Forum, WERU-FM, 10-11 am
March 22, Public Conversation: 5:30-7:00pm
FAKE NEWS: Who Can You Trust?
April 21, Democracy Forum, WERU-FM, 10-11 am
April 26, Public Conversation 5:30-7:00pm
FREE TRADE: Winners & Losers
May 19, Democracy Forum, WERU-FM, 10-11 am
May 24, Public Conversation 5:30-7:00pm
JOBS IN MAINE: What's the Future?
June 16, Democracy Forum, WERU-FM, 10-11 am
June 21, Public Conversation 5:30-7:00pm
CIVIL DISCOURSE: Can We Do It?
July 21, Democracy Forum, WERU-FM, 10-11 am
July 26, Public Converation 5:30-7:00pm
September, October, November - To Be Announced