The League of Women Voters supports voting systems that are secure, accurate, recountable, accessible, and transparent.
Our democracy rests not only on the integrity of our election process, but also on the public confidence that we, as citizens, have in our elections.
The League believes that we here in Maine have enjoyed a
generations-long record of professional, nonpartisan, voter-friendly administration of elections at both the state and
municipal level. Our town and city clerks are among the most recognized and trusted government officials in our communities.
To secure public confidence and transparency in our elections for the future, support the following measures:
- Transparency as to election procedures and opportunities for members of the public to participate and observe the conduct of elections
- Ballot reconciliation forms for local election officials
- An election complaint and remediation process
- Routine monitoring by state and local election officials for double voting
- Rigorous pre- and post-election audits, including risk-limiting audits before certifying election results.
During the first session of the 128th Legislature, the League working with sponsors to introduce LD 1284
An Act To Require Election Transparency and Audits.
Despite broad bipartisan sponsorship, and despite having worked with state election officials in the drafting, this bill was killed in committee. You can read our testimony here.
We will try again.